Welcome to the St.James Assiniboia School Division!

This is a blog devoted to new teachers. Whether you are having a tough time with your students or want to share your successes in the classroom,have a question or want to share some reflections, talking with other teachers can be a great help, both professionally and personally. This blog will be the place for collaboration and sharing. We want to also encourage all of our readers to offer advice and share their own stories and experiences. Here we will blog about all things teaching and learning. WELCOME to our blog spot.


Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Student Learning

"...learning must be done by the student."

Student eeePC user by USM MS photos, on Flickr


Working Inside the Black Box; Black et al (2004)

If this is true, how can we give more ownership of the learning and of the classroom to our students?
In your classroom who is doing more work - you or your students?

3 comments:

  1. This is a great reminder as to where our focus as teachers should be. We can "teach" till we are blue in the face but unless the students are engaged in their learning it will do no good.

    Jared Boville

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this to be true, students must take ownership of the classroom in order to achieve greater success ans satisfaction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have definitely dealt with this challenge so far this year. I feel like I am doing a lot of work preparing for class and while I am in the classroom - in terms of classroom management, providing a lot of feedback, opportunities to redo work with comments, etc. - but I feel as though a lot of the students are not returning the effort and this is frustrates me sometimes.
    I have tried to pass off some of the accountability to the students but it's hard to do because, personally, I feel as though I always need to do as much work as possible to get the most out of a situation and sometimes taking a step back and asking students to step up and bring something to the table is a challenging.
    My next goal as it pertains to this particular situation is to structure this expectation a little better, but at least I have learned that the amount of work I put into the class may not necessarily result in the most desirable outcome...it has to be a shared venture and I have to work smart, not just work hard and it's okay to require some work and effort from the students, not just myself.

    ReplyDelete