Welcome to the St.James Assiniboia School Division!

This is a blog devoted to new teachers. Whether you are having a tough time with your students or want to share your successes in the classroom,have a question or want to share some reflections, talking with other teachers can be a great help, both professionally and personally. This blog will be the place for collaboration and sharing. We want to also encourage all of our readers to offer advice and share their own stories and experiences. Here we will blog about all things teaching and learning. WELCOME to our blog spot.


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Framework for Thinking about Assessment... Reflection Questions

What do you think?

1.     The most effective method for assessing my students is to use a large end of unit test.

2.     I don’t have time to use formative assessments.  They are not important.  The only learning evidence that I need to gather is at the end of a unit of study.  This is the best time to find out what my students know and can do.

3.     When I plan lessons, I should start with the end in mind. 

4.     I do not need to worry about involving my students in co-constructing the criteria for success.  That is the work of the teacher.

5.     Students learn best after a test has been graded.  They can then see the mistakes they have made, make corrections so they will not make the same mistakes again.

6.     If I allow students to self-assess it will appear as though I am  not doing my job.  I should see every piece of work at every stage of its development.

7.     If a student does not hand in assigned work, I will give them a grade of zero…every time.

8.     I must include all formative and summative assessment results in my reporting of student achievement.

9.     If the parents of my students are well informed about learning outcomes and how their child is progressing, there is less of a chance of “surprises” and angry phone calls from parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment